Harbourfront Centre, on Toronto’s waterfront, is an innovative non‑profit cultural organization which creates, for a diverse public, events and activities of excellence that enliven, educate and entertain. Harbourfront Centre is one of Toronto’s most popular tourist attractions, drawing more than 12 million visitors annually.
Currently an employment opportunity exists in our Integrated Communications department for full-time (40 hours/week) Media Relations Interns to assist with Harbourfront Centre’s busy spring/summer season. Reporting to the media relations team, this position will be responsible for promoting awareness of Harbourfront Centre and its programmes for a 2-3month contract.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
– Gathers, assembles, prepares and writes information on assigned programmes for dissemination to the media.
– Formulates and pitches strong story ideas to the media and creates media opportunities for coverage
– Organizes photo opportunities, media campaigns and interviews, responds to telephone inquiries; integrates with social media campaigns and attends events to coordinate media activities.
– Monitors media coverage, evaluates the success of each communications strategy, creates media reports and recommends improvements for future events.
– Maintains ongoing contact with all media (local, national, international) to provide them with accurate and timely information on Harbourfront Centre events and cultivate new contacts.
The ideal candidate will be a post-secondary student/graduate in a communications program or related discipline with some publicity experience in the performing arts, entertainment, community and news media or culturally diverse media. Strong oral and written communication skills, knowledge of CP Style writing, persistence and the ability to pitch strong story ideas are required. Sound knowledge of the Toronto and regional media, exceptional interpersonal skills along with passion for culture and community interaction are required. He/she must be highly organized, able to handle multiple tasks concurrently and capable of adhering to strict deadlines. The incumbent must be computer literate, strongly versed with web and on-line and social media opportunities for publicity. Ability to speak languages other than English and knowledge of taking and editing video footage, on-line photography and electronic press kits are considered assets.
Each intern will be matched with a media relations team member who will provide support and guidance thought the internship term.
Qualified applicants must apply by Monday, April 2, 2012
Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Harbourfront Centre, 235 Queens Quay West
Toronto, ON M5J 2G8
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.