To apply for a Full-time, Annual Artist-in-Residence position:
- You must possess a post-secondary degree or diploma from a Craft/Design/Art College or University.
- You must have graduated within the past five years.
- You may apply for a full-time Artist-in-Residence position no more than three (3) times.
To apply for a Summer Artist-in-Residence position:
- You must be currently enrolled in a Post-secondary Degree or diploma from a Craft/Design/Art College or University.
- You must be returning to school full-time in the fall following residency.
To apply for a Short-term Artist-in-Residence position:
- You must be a mid-career artist. We define a mid-career artist as someone who has 8-14 years’ exhibition history in professional visual arts contexts since graduating from college/university.
- Must contact Director of Craft & Design before applying to discuss your eligibility.
All applicants (both Summer and Full-time) must demonstrate:
- Talent, skill and innovation.
- The potential for artistic and technical development.
CONDITIONS OF RESIDENCY
The following is a list of qualities that we expect from each and every Craft & Design Artist-in-Residence. Please review prior to applying.
- Potential for creative and technical development.
- Progress in your practice and career and a commitment to exhibit, and work in a public manner.
- Ability to work co-operatively, respectfully and responsibly.
- Ability to carry out your project, meeting proposed targets and deadlines.
- Ability to work without a Studio Technician. Ability to problem-solve technical issues with equipment.
- Ability to work in full view of the public.
There is a $25 fee to apply for a full-time or short-term Artist-in-Residence position (applicants to the summer program do not pay a fee). This amount includes tax and is payable by credit card. You will be asked to fill in your credit card information on the application form. If you require an alternative method of payment, please contact email@example.com prior to the deadline.
If you are awarded an Annual Artist-in-Residence position, you sign a one year contract and pay a monthly license fee of $90. Some applicants may be eligible to receive a scholarship. If awarded a scholarship, you do not pay licensing fees.
Summer Artists-in-Residence do not pay licensing fees.
***Harbourfront Centre does not provide housing as part of the Artist-in-Residence program. You are responsible for all of your own living and travel costs. Artists-in-Residence do not receive stipends.***
Prior to applying, please review the application guidelines.
To download a PDF with information about the 2020 Artist-in-Residence Program Application Process, click here.