Thanks to all the artists and companies who applied to the December 2011 call.
If you would like an email notification for the next Fresh Ground new works Call for Submissions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A maximum prize of $20,000 will be awarded to each of the winning projects which successfully fulfills the criteria of a new, collaborative artistic creation incorporating more than one discipline or field. As in previous years, the work must be original, never before presented or performed, and be ready for presentation or installation at Harbourfront Centre between September 2013 and June 2014.
Harbourfront Centre is the steward of an extraordinary 10-acre site at the centre of Toronto's urban waterfront. The 2013/14 prize-winning projects will focus on the unique Harbourfront Centre site, its relationship to the Toronto Harbour and Lake Ontario, and its role as a gateway to the city.
- demonstrate an engagement with Harbourfront Centre’s physical site and the natural elements that impact it (weather and the seasons, as well as water and wind), the industrial history of the waterfront, as well as the Centre's current position as the cultural heart of Toronto's waterfront and its near 40-year history of championing contemporary international culture
- the varied nature of the Centre's spaces and location will provide both unique inspiration and logistical and technical challenges; as a result, artists should expect to work closely with Harbourfront Centre if your project is chosen
- engage the widest possible audience through work that considers diversity (cultural, generational, lifestyle), immediacy, spectacle and emotional resonance
- demonstrate an understanding of and be complementary to Harbourfront Centre's mission and vision
The applicant shall:
- be a working professional artist defined as an individual who:
- has completed specialized training in his or her artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- is recognized as such by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition)
- is committed to artistic activity, and
- has a history of public presentation
- be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant to Canada
- take on the role of Project Lead and represent the collaborating team by completing the online application and submitting a Letter of Intent.
The project shall:
- be a new artistic creation never before presented or performed
- involve more than one discipline or field (artistic or otherwise)
- include participants working in different disciplines or fields
- be ready for installation or presentation at Harbourfront Centre between September 2013 and June 2014
Proposals will be evaluated on:
- the relevance of the project to the criteria as outlined in the Call
- the innovative nature of the collaboration
- the depth of the project's engagement with its audience
- the achievability of the project by the collaborators
- the feasibility of the project's implementation