Boat Licenses

Harbourfront Centre continues to monitor the rapidly changing situation regarding the COVID-19 virus. For the health and safety of all our staff and our volunteers, our patrons, supporters and the community, and in line with the advice and guidelines of Toronto Public Health, we will be closed to the public until further notice.

Customers who have registered for upcoming courses will be contacted with details of any postponements or cancellations. We appreciate your patience as we work to reschedule courses wherever possible.

International Certificate of Competency (ICC)
Coastal and Bare Boat Skipper (BBS)

Planning on renting a boat in the Mediterranean? Most of Europe and other countries such as Australia and New Zealand demand an ICC.

The ICC is a certificate which may be issued to anyone who has successfully completed certain national boating certifications such as the Bare Boat Skipper certificate or has successfully passed an examination to prove the necessary competence for pleasure craft operation. It is different from the Canadian Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC) and requires more extensive knowledge and training.

Call our office for more details on how to obtain your ICC & BBS before you leave to do a bareboat rental outside of North America.


  • Sail Canada Intermediate Cruising
  • Sail Canada Coastal Navigation

Exam Challenge / $365

For more information on ICC , click here

Pleasure Craft Operators Card


Government legislation requires that all operators of any power-driven vessel — even a Personal Water Craft (PWC) — obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC). If you are renting a boat, a ‘Rental Boat Safety Checklist’ must be completed before embarking. Please note that all Basic Cruising and Power students receive automatic competency once they pass their standard.

Any person who holds a certificate or equivalency on the List of Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies from Transport Canada, is competent to operate a pleasure craft under the Competency of Pleasure Craft Regulations. A person holding such a certificate or equivalency simply needs to carry their certificate or equivalency (or a copy of it) on board their pleasure craft, accompanied by a proof of identification.

Complete an accredited course and carry the card.

Once you have successfully obtained a Canadian Coast Guard accredited Pleasure Craft Operator Card, you must carry it with you at all times while operating a power driven vessel much like a driver’s license.

Competency Regulations:

Everyone who operates a power-driven boat needs proof of PCOC competency — something that shows they understand the basic rules and how to safely operate a boat. The most common proof of competency is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card. You can get the card by taking a boating safety course with us or by completing the PCOC exam. A person who holds a certification from Basic Cruising, Basic Power or ICC automatically receives competency of the PCOC. No further testing is required.

Those who have taken a boating safety course prior to April 1, 1999 will not be required to take another course or test. A copy of a certificate or a card issued at the completion of courses taken prior to April 1, 1999 will need to be carried on board the pleasure craft.

Register Course Dates

Powered Vessel Operator’s Permit (Toronto Harbour License)

To operate any power driven vessel in Toronto Harbour, you are required to have a Harbour License. This course is designed to give you the theoretical knowledge you need to be successful and includes a written and practical test. Previous power boating experience is required.

3 Hours / $160

Register Course Dates

VHF – DSC License

“Yankee, Echo, Sierra!” Learn to communicate on the VHF marine radio with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) and receive your Restricted Operator’s Card (Maritime) – (ROC-M).

6 Hours / $180

Register Course Dates

Licensing Package Deal

This package includes the Pleasure Craft Operator Card, Toronto Harbour License and VHF – DSC License.


Please call 416-203-3000 to purchase the Licensing Package Deal.